Tanzania: Homo Sapiens’ Ancient Origin and the Oral Traditions of the Maasai People of East Africa
Semester- Summer A 2018
- SWA 1100 Introduction to Swahili Language and Culture (3 credits)
- AFA 4931 Special Topics in African and African Diaspora Studies: Homo Sapiens’ Ancient Origin and the Oral Traditions of the Maasai People of East Africa (3 credits)
- AFA 5932 Special topics in African and African Diaspora Studies: Homo Sapiens’ Ancient Origin and the Oral Traditions of the Maasai People of East Africa (3 credits)
- AFA 6905 Independent Study / Directed Readings in African & African Diaspora Studies (3 credits)
Miami, South Florida- May 8th - May 11th
Sat May 12th
Departure from Miami International Airport to Dar es Salaam
Students will be housed in a rented town house near the Usa River. From the house students will enjoy a perfect view of Mount Meru (second tallest in Tanzania) and Mount Kilimanjaro (world’s tallest independent standing mountain). The house was built in 2010. It is fenced and guarded 24/7. It has a modern laundry facility, wifi, and offers a great deal of privacy. A typical Tanzanian breakfast will be taken in the house daily, and lunch will be served wherever the students will be as per program itinerary.
The cost of the 2018 program is $4,960 per person, which is a true bargain. The cost includes roundtrip airfare, accommodations, three meals per day, access to laundry facilities, guided tours and activities, mandatory health insurance, and local transportation while abroad. The program cost does not include FIU instructional fee*, study abroad non-refundable fee ($175), and personal expenses.
Graduate students, please note that TA/GA tuition waivers do not cover study abroad instructional fees.
Please note that only certified money orders or checks will be accepted for payments.
The application deadline is January 30th, 2018. A $300 deposit will be required upon submission of the application (certified money orders or checks only). As space is limited, please contact the AADS Program to be placed on the reserve list.
To access the application for this program, please click here.
Payments must be made as follows (certified money orders or checks only):
- January 30th, 2018 — $300 deposit upon submission of application
- February 10th, 2018 — $1,370 first payment
- March 30th, 2018— $3,290 second payment
Please note that payments are non-refundable and non-transferable to another person.
Students enrolled in this study abroad program are eligible for the Gilman Scholarship, which awards up to USD $5,000 (the Tanzania program Director and the Study Abroad office can assist with writing the required essay), the Study Abroad Scholarships, and more.
OTHER STUDY ABROAD FINANCING OPTIONS
African & African Diaspora Studies
Green School of International and Public Affairs
Florida International University
11200 SW 8th Street, LC 304
Miami, Florida 33199
Zablon Mgonja, Instructor of Swahili, Director of Study Abroad Program in Tanzania
E-mail: Office of Study Abroad