Karell Travel Grant to Africa
Deadline, October 31, 2011
AADS invites graduate students, core and affiliated AADS faculty wishing to travel to Africa to apply for a Karell Travel Grant. The grant provides a round-trip ticket from Miami to any point in Africa, courtesy of Karell African Dream Vacations.
Students enrolled in the MA Program in AADS or in the Combined MA in AADS/Ph.D in History or IR may apply, as may core and affiliated AADS faculty. Proposed travel objectives can include:
Research in archives based in an African country
- Fieldwork in an African country
- Attendance and paper presentation (or any other contribution) at a conference or workshop relevant to AADS in an African country
- Teaching at an African university
- To spend two weeks or more at an African university or research institute as a visiting scholar
Applicants for the grant should supply the following:
- A proposal outlining the work to be conducted and its connection to the student’s or faculty’s research agenda and/or academic career. The proposal should be limited to two single-spaced pages, and should include proposed dates of travel and itinerary.
- A two-page c.v.
- A letter of support from an advisor (for students) or from the relevant department chair (for faculty)
- Any appropriate invitation or supplemental material, e.g. conference program, letter of invitation, archival descriptions. Applicants planning to conduct fieldwork should supply the appropriate IRB documentation.
Upon return from Africa, the grant recipient will be expected to give a public presentation about his or her work. Publications resulting from this travel should acknowledge the support of Karell Travel and of AADS.
All application materials should be received by October 31, 2011, and should be sent to:
Dr. Jean Rahier
Florida International University
11200 S.W. 8th Street, LC 308
Miami, Florida 33199
Announcement of the award will be made by November 24, 2011